Metatarsalgia


Metatarsalgia refers to inflammation of the bursa and joint capsules, with pain typically limited to the lesser metatarsal heads along the plantar surface of the foot.

High-impact activities such as running, jumping or any other sport increase the pressure applied on the forefoot, making the condition worse. Any kind of excessive or repetitive stress further aggravates the condition; this is why patients with metatarsalgia should avoid wearing ill-fitting shoes or high heels.

What are the biomechanical causes of Metatarsalgia? 

Biomechanical imbalances brought about by an improper foot posture lead to an incorrect distribution of weight throughout the metatarsals. 

The first metatarsal phalangeal joint is meant to accept approximately 60% of weight load to the foot with the remaining 40% distributed to the lesser metatarsal heads.

The distribution of load while performing weightbearing activities depends significantly on foot structure as well as proximal arthokinematic activity.

Compensatory movements associated with an abnormal foot posture may result in reduced weightbearing capacity of the first metatarsal; hence, a major part of the body weight is shifted laterally to the lesser metatarsal heads at toe-off.

The resultant collapse of the transverse arch causes considerable weakening of the forefoot structure, leading to pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot. 

MASS4D® helps Metatarsalgia with an active rehabilitation program

The primary biomechanical goal in treating metatarsalgia is to redistribute weight properly through the foot. 

This means offloading the excess weight from the lesser metatarsal heads and shifting 60% of the weight to the first metatarsal phalangeal joint where it belongs.

Being a full contact orthotic, MASS4D® supports the foot throughout the different stages of gait, all the while addressing the postural stressors associated with foot deformities. 

In doing so, MASS4D® orthotics promote an optimal distribution of pressure in the foot, thereby reducing the load on the affected metatarsals. 

The MASS4D® foot orthotic is additionally calibrated to the specific body weight and forefoot flexibility of the patient ensuring functional pronation and healthy supination while allowing joints to work well within their natural range of motion.

Recommended Links

Metatarsalgia Basics
Why MASS4D®

Recent Publications

October 11, 2017

Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita (AMC) is an umbrella term used to refer to more than 300 rare congenital disorders characterised by non-progressive joint contractures and a...
Read More

October 04, 2017

Parkinson’s disease refers to a complex neurodegenerative disease which is characterised by progressive gait impairments and postural disparities that significantly affect an individual’s quality of...
Read More

October 22, 2017

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) represents a fitness strategy that incorporates short, intense bouts of exercises with brief recovery periods to improve overall health-related outcomes in adult...
Read More

July 16, 2017

A detailed biomechanical description of baseball helps in understanding the pathomechanics of injuries sustained on the field and in developing measures to protect the player...
Read More